Wednesday, May 11, 2011

And so...

...someone has copied some of my pieces. Its was unsettling to come upon their Etsy shop, a bit like seeing your own head on another body. My designs are simple so maybe this is an unfortunate but natural side effect.

They openly state in their shop that they are "inspired" by me. Now I've had people say that before, that is, they see something I did, they change the ideas, they make their own, they let me know they posted a picture on their blog or flickr and its humbling and kind ( and exciting). That is not wrong. We learn from each and then we can make the KNOWLEDGE, not the item, our own. And when everyone plays by the rules...it's actually great! Those with more knowledge have more of a "reserve" from which to share and the rest of us need to be respectful of that. (and to heighten the effect you can do what I do and stand in the Ford/Forlano booth at ACC and weep ;-)


No, inspiration is something completely different than copying. So where is the dividing line? MOST of us don't want to step over that line - me included!


Forging head with new rings, new necklaces, new earrings!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you said something about it. I have had this happen and the first momentary effect is like being winded - all - breath - gone!
    I still don't understand why someone would think this is ok. I understand the urge to want to make something inspired by someone else and keep it for oneself. I understand totally the urge to try out a technique as a material exploration and see where it leads for one's own work - as a jumping off point, you understand. But just plain copying and SELLING it I find hard to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry this happened to you. It is the risk we take when we put our art on the net, everyone can take our ideas. I tell my high school art students, " ...we take from other artists not to copy, but to learn." Too bad that the person who took from you doesn't understand that concept. Some people are so desperate for sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. most of us tremble about 10 ft. away from the line... i am sorry this has happened - and all i can say is that you will continue to evolve, and they will not... for yours stems from your truth...
    and you are so right - one can be inspired by something and then flip it upside down, change it up, do their thing to it... and it makes the idea grow... like roots that spread...
    we know your work - it is so unique and beautiful and genevieve...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your camaraderie, gang!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those earrings are just lovely. I'm off to your shop and not the other one - whoever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes. Been there and expect to be there again. All you can do its continue to evolve and leave the others in your wake. The minute our art is out there for the world to see, someone is trying to figure out how they can make it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This whole thing just completely sucks. Inspiration and plagirism are two very distinct acts. How dare they!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much everyone! Several other very encouraging comments got lost the other day in the blogger glitch but I had read them all and I really appreciate the camaraderie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just discovered your beautiful blog! I had someone this week email me and ask if they could copy my wool design and sell on Etsy. Really? In what world did she expect a yes!

    ReplyDelete