Sunday, February 7, 2010

Meet the artist

Its nose to grindstone for me right now. I will be the artist of the month at the Radius Gallery at the PA State Museum for the month of March. Its an honor and I am forever grateful to assistant arts curator Jessica Watson who spotted me on Etsy!

I'll have 10-20 pieces of my work featured and will demonstrate (did I mention my fear of speaking in public?) for 2 hours on the first Sunday of the month.


I'll be taking all new work (large necklaces, carved rings...) but I also wanted to use something from the museum's collection as inspiration for some of the pieces. The new mastodon exhibit seemed a perfect jumping off point so I've been working on faux bone. I've found directions for this technique in various places but Irene Semanchuk Dean's Faux Surfaces book is the clearest. Learn first. Mess with process later.

7 comments:

  1. Woo-Hoo!

    How exciting! Congratulations. Just be your charming self and it will be fine. You are a wonderfully sweet and funny person, as well as so talented... they will all be entranced. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - you will do it so well...all you have to do is let your work speak for you. I can sympathize with the fear of public speaking, I have it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! and well earned... i like that you are integrating pieces from the museum as inspiration - and the faux bone is a great medium...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congrats Genevieve! Sounds like quite an honor, our State Museum! Make sure to take lots of pictures to share! :) I'm sure you'll do fine. I know what you mean about speaking in front of others. Remember in this kind of setting most may have never heard of PC and if they have only as a children's play clay, so you know much more than they do. Just pretend you are speaking to a small children's art group and you'll do fine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement and Kate, thank you for the good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be great. I loooooove Irene's book. I like just browsing through it. I'm dying to try the rusted steel treatment. Good luck and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I would love to see your demonstration.

    ReplyDelete