Thursday, October 30, 2008

In the beginning...

My current watercolor pieces start as nuggets of experiences, though I rarely know where I am going when I first get started. Many of the pieces I am working on now have grown out of the trip that my family and I took June-Sept. 2008. We traveled to island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean by way of Cape Town, South Africa, gathering treasures, the best of which being the experience itself.


We spent the better part of one day on a hike to this fortification, Banks Battery. It was a good day. The weather was glorious. The water was so very clean. There were starfish in tide pools and most importantly..No one fell off a cliff.

As the children mucked about with sea urchins, I set about sketching, muttering about the difficulty of drawing so many rocks. Eventually - EUREEKA - I realized I really liked drawing rocks!

I ended up with a sketch I quiet liked...that translated into a watercolor "gem"...that might get paired with an old key to form necklace. I am currently working small, large and rectangular watercolor gem pieces, set in polymer bezels.

No comments:

Post a Comment