Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Personal museum

With Ema leaving tomorrow and school starting for us on Thursday we're in clean up/re-organized mode. I realized its terribly sad that the natural history (aka treasures, aka stones and sticks) that I've collected from two continents and three islands have been sitting in plastic bags in a cupboard. Decided to rectify.


Only smaller bits fit on the narrow shelves created by hanging a printers tray side ways.

The house we rented this year in Maine had a private beach that was littered with huge mica flakes. I wish I could figure out how to set this one in a bezel.

The tiny collection.



The best of the heart stones.


Fossils from Calvert Cliffs.



4 comments:

  1. How about wire wrapping for the piece of mica into a ring? I think that would work well, without messing up the layers of the stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, it's gorgeous! I hope you figure out how to display everything one day. It hearkens back to the old 'cabinets of curiosity' in the 1800s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- I collect heat stones too- so pretty! Love the tiny museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is beautiful! I really love this post. Thanks for commenting on The Daily Ocean. Good luck with your work. I went to Mass. College of Art, taught Ceramics for a long time after. I really appreciate what you shared in this post.

    take care -
    Sara

    ReplyDelete