Saturday, June 13, 2009

One Year Ago, Thousands of Miles Away

One year ago today my family and I awoke a long way from anywhere and began our first full day on the island of Saint Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean.


Saint Helena is 1200 miles from the west coat of Namibia and only accessible by a five day journey by ship. It is considered to be one of the world's most isolated communities.


My husband had received a grant to do photo documentary work for the island's museum.

I awake many days wishing I was there with our view of the grand remains of a long extinct volcano and ocean beyond, air swept clean by the Trade Winds, living a simple life with little more than what fits in a suitcase.

3 comments:

  1. How fortunate you all were to have such an opportunity. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A year already? It seems like you were just e-mailing me to tell me you were going on your wonderful adventure. :^) I loved sharing in your experiences through your blog postings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what a wonderful view, and the photograph is just amazing...

    ReplyDelete