Thursday, May 28, 2009

Feels like crawling sometimes


I think polymer clay existed when I went to art school but it wasn't taught. Shame.

I am working, working, working to learn different polymer techniques. I have read about and am experimenting with making canes and veneers, mokume gane and image transfers. Soon perhaps I'll take a class in metal clay.

Above are earrings made while fiddling around with faux bone techniques. Below is my first attempt at making a polymer veneer. I took leftover bits of clay, made a cabachon shape and overlaid a very thin sheet in the grey/yellow pattern. Its a start.


Not long ago I read about a polymer artist who said they didn't do ANY learning/reading about polymer. Everything they did, every technique they used, they had figured out for themselves. And at first this seemed impressive. No one could say they were copying, right?

Quickly though that thought changed to "why in the world would anyone do that?"
Why NOT learn technique from the masters (hasn't the art world always worked this way?) and make THEN make it your own?

"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet." Aristotle

1 comment:

  1. So true. When I was at glass school watching incredible glass masters working, I used to say it was a good thing that we don't have to reinvent the wheel (every time!). We could all benefit hugely from their incredible expertise and use it as a jumping off point to where imagination and technique mix...

    Only problem as a student: one's technique lags behind the ideas. Which is why I too am trying, trying stuff, all the time and looking at all the stuff that is possible...also finding that my knowledge of glass will point me in new directions.

    ReplyDelete